Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1893/24072
Full metadata record
DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.advisorWalshe, Ian-
dc.contributor.advisorWittard, Oliver-
dc.contributor.advisorGalloway, Stuart-
dc.contributor.authorAlexander, Lee-
dc.date.accessioned2016-08-22T14:42:36Z-
dc.date.available2016-08-22T14:42:36Z-
dc.date.issued2015-10-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1893/24072-
dc.description.abstractPurpose: To examine the impact of high protein intake on whole body composition changes in total body mass, lean body mass and fat mass as well as exercise performance following a short-term hypoenergetic diet in active females. Methods: In a parallel design, 18 healthy active females were prescribed 100% of their habitual energy intake for one week. Participants were then assigned to a hypoenergetic diet (60% of habitual energy intake) consisting of either a normal protein diet (CON, 15% protein total energy intake, n = 9) or a high protein diet (HP, 35% protein total energy intake, n = 9) for a 2-week period. Macronutrient composition during the hypoenergetic diet was set at 15% PRO, 50% CHO, 35% FAT for CON and 35% PRO, 50% CHO, FAT 15% in HP. Total body mass, lean body mass, fat mass and exercise performance (anaerobic power, isokinetic strength, speed and anaerobic endurance) were assessed at the end of the 100% habitual prescribed diet and upon completion of 2 weeks hypoenergetic diet intervention. Results: No significant differences in any measurement of body composition were detected between CON and HP. Total body mass, (CON: -1.1 ± 1.1kg; HP: -1.0 ± 0.7kg, p=0.85) lean body mass (CON: –0.4kg ± 1.1kg; HP: -0.1kg ± 0.7kg, p=0.55) and fat mass (CON: -0.7± 0.6kg; HP -0.9 ± 0.4kg, p=0.43) reductions were observed. Further mechanistic-based inferential statistical analysis observed a potential substantially positive effect (52%) of attenuating lean body mass with higher protein. Exercise performance was maintained throughout the duration of the study independent of dietary protein intake. Conclusion: It is concluded that a high protein intake (35%) compared to a normal protein intake (15%) during energy restriction does not significantly alter body composition or exercise performance in active females during a short term hypoenergetic diet.en_GB
dc.language.isoenen_GB
dc.publisherUniversity of Stirlingen_GB
dc.subjecthypoenergetic dieten_GB
dc.subjectproteinen_GB
dc.subjectbody compositionen_GB
dc.subject.lcshBody compositionen_GB
dc.subject.lcshHIgh protein dieten_GB
dc.subject.lcshWomen Nutritionen_GB
dc.subject.lcshWomen athletesen_GB
dc.titleThe impact of high protein intake on body composition in active females during a hypoenergetic dieten_GB
dc.typeThesis or Dissertationen_GB
dc.type.qualificationlevelMastersen_GB
dc.type.qualificationnameMaster of Philosophyen_GB
dc.author.emaillee123alexander@hotmail.comen_GB
Appears in Collections:Faculty of Health Sciences and Sport eTheses

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
TITLE PAGE.pdfTitle page111.77 kBAdobe PDFView/Open
MPHIL FINISHED 2016 FINAL! new!.pdfThesis1 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


This item is protected by original copyright



Items in the Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

If you believe that any material held in STORRE infringes copyright, please contact library@stir.ac.uk providing details and we will remove the Work from public display in STORRE and investigate your claim.